Department of Mechanical Engineering
Room 1163, Building 089
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Email: ckessens (at) umd (dot) edu
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, MD (exp. 2015)
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Washington University, St. Louis, MO (2005)
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Pasadena, CA (2003)
- Design, development, and characterization of self-sealing suction cup technology
- Design, development, and characterization of SMA actuated grasper
- Contact modeling for astrictive technology
- Force/contact sensing integration
- Grasp stability analysis
- Chad C. Kessens and Jaydev P. Desai, “Versatile Passive Grasping for Manipulation,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 21, no, 3, pp. 1293 – 1302, Jun. 2016; DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2016.2520306.
- Chad C. Kessens and Jaydev P. Desai, “A Self-Sealing Suction Cup Array for Grasping,” ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 045001 (8 pages), Sep. 2011; DOI: 10.1115/1.4004893.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Chad C. Kessens, Justin Thomas, Jaydev P. Desai, and Vijay Kumar, “Versatile Aerial Grasping Using Self-sealing Suction,” IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), May 2016, Stockholm, Sweden; DOI: 10.1109/ICRA.2016.7487495.
- Chad C. Kessens and Jaydev P. Desai, “Design, Fabrication, and Implementation of Self-Sealing Suction Cup Arrays for Grasping,” IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 765 – 770, May 2010, Anchorage, AK, USA; DOI: 10.1109/ROBOT.2010.5509818
- System, Method, and Apparatus for Suction Gripping
Inventors: Jaydev P. Desai and Chad Kessens
Patent No.: US 8,382,174 B2
Date of Patent: Feb. 26, 2013